Queensware, a cream-colored pottery developed by Josiah Wedgwood, was a popular dinnerware by 1765. One is made from two colors of clay, the other is made from one color of clay with a color dip to create the contrast in design.
In 1986 Wedgwood and Waterford Crystal merged to form the Waterford Wedgwood Group.
Originally the market place probably extended to the west side of what is now St. There was also settlement along the road to Macclesfield on the north-west side of the town and the road to Newcastle-under-Lyme on the south-west.
Edward Street, thus forming the north-west corner of the town. The first gave access to a mill by the Churnet, and the stretch by the mill was known as Mill Street by the earlier 16th century when a suburb had grown up there. 22) The steep part down from the town, also known as Mill Street by the earlier 19th century, was simply 'the hollow lane' in the later 17th century. 23) Abbey Green Road, which branches north from the Macclesfield road to cross the Churnet at Broad's bridge, (fn.
35) and the spring is now called as Lady o' th' Dale well. Within living memory the water was used by local people for healing purposes, and there was also a May Day procession to the site by children from St. At the beginning of the 17th century the town was noted for its market, which in the 1670s was one of the three most important in Staffordshire.
On the other hand the buildings were then 'but poor and for the most part thatched'. 37) It is likely that all or most of the surviving timber-framed buildings are of the 16th or 17th century, although later encased in stone or brick. 2–4 Clerk Bank and the Black Swan inn in Sheepmarket contain cruck frames. 2–4 Church Street on the north side of the market place incorporate the remains of a 16th-century timber-framed building, whose front was probably jettied. 45) Stanley Street was formerly Custard Street, a name which may have been derived from costard, a large kind of apple; it too was renamed in 1866. 46) East of the market place Stockwell Street (also known as Stockwood Street in the 1690s) and Derby Street were so named by the 1630s. 47) There were no streets in the area between them until the 19th century.
5) on the east, and Ball Haye brook (now culverted) on the north. The market place and the main streets occupy gentler slopes running south and south-east to a small valley which includes Brook Street.
Ball Haye brook may be the earlier Church brook, mentioned in 1281 as 'kyrkebroke' and in 1569 as a tributary of the Churnet. 6) The name Leek may derive from either the Old English , both meaning brook. 7) The brook was perhaps the stream called the Spout Water running down what is now Brook Street (formerly Spout Lane) and the north side of Broad Street, or its tributary which ran from a spring in St. The underlying rock in the western part of the area of the former township is Sherwood Sandstone, through which several of the approaches to the town are cut.
Another probably linked the abbey and the grange along the present Kiln Lane, which continues Abbey Green Road across the Macclesfield road. Lowe Hill was probably an inhabited area by the earlier 14th century. 31) There was a farm at Kniveden to the north by 1535, when it was held of Dieulacres by Thomas Smith; (fn.The vases are inspired by traditional shapes and decorated with elegant expressive patterns.Each vase is hand-finished, hand-lithographed and hand-lined with gold.The population of Leek parish was 19,724 in 1981 and 19,518 in 1991. 15) The name Lowe may be derived from a burial mound.Two have been identified within the area of the former township. In the later 12th and early 13th century it was a stopping place for the earls of Chester, the lords of Leek manor, who may have had a house there.